Sunday, October 15, 2006

solo mini sketchcrawl

After listening about Sketchcrawling on friday I really wanted to do one, so, yesterday I wake up at about noon, and I'm not really in the mood for a sketch marathon, but I had some movies to return to blockbuster and having a broken bike and no car, I thought I might as well go by sketchbook and feet.

So..

random aggies: and another one of my fav. trees:
if beautiful women were trees this would be one:



First I went to the SCC to scan the last's post's drawings,
while I was there I sketched, and debated about where
to eat lunch:



I decided on Taco Cabana, which is sort of on the way to blockbuster...


(click on the maps to go there on google maps)

So I walk through this field and decide to sketch plants,
but my "financial aid" pens that I picked up the day before
really do suck as the lady told me, so, I goto office max and buy
some blue 12/1$ pens (on sale), then I go to Barnes and Noble and
sketch people there:



After B&N I eat at Taco C. while reading a good book on aesthetics

Then move on... sketch myself in a store window...



Return my movies....


Head towards the neighboring parking lot




And sketch a telephone pole and street light in the parking lot,
wander south, sketching trees and plants



About now I pick up this strange looking thing I'll call a brain-fruit, which I sketch, and take a pic of with my cell phone(along with an interesting flower):



Let me know if you know what they are called.

So, I end up here...



....and draw the backs of these stores, which was fun,
and perhaps the best sketch of the day:



during all this I'm listening to Ennio Morricone, Moulin Rouge, and (to complete a natural list) some Douglas Wilson sermons.



So I head over to Sweet Eugene's Coffee shop to sketch people,
and on the way I sketch a car and a tree, and see the Sunset:






While sketching people, I get 'noticed' and pointed at by a group of people, who proceed to randomly stare at me at take my picture with a flash. Keep in mind, this is College Station, Tx, where any art has shock value.

As I grow tired of sketching, I run into "a geek with reasonably good social skills" and have some good philosophy/theology conversation.

The End.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cin said...

nice bits and pieces you drew along the way, a sketchcrawl of one works also!

thanks for your comment! not sure but each portrait maybe a half hour to draw, my friends in a nursing home for folks with physical disabilities

10/16/2006 7:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The "brain fruit" is apparently an Osage-orange. We (my brother, the neighbor kids, and I) always called them horseapples as kids—there were several of the trees in the neighborhood.

10/17/2006 11:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Additionally, that's quite an eclectic playlist you had going. And I don't think the existence of art is necessarily shocking around here, so much as the act of creating it (with possible exceptions, depending on your definition of "art," such as Benjamin Knox).

10/17/2006 11:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home