Thursday, February 15, 2007

archives: Vynclif

Glass Hall poster


Vynclif was a Myst/Riven inspired world I made and worked on from sometime in 2000 until perhaps sometime in 2002 made primarily in Bryce 4 and truespace 1, several myst fans did this sort of thing on old discussion boards like rivenguild. It was really my first experience in art and is still the sort of thing I could see spending my life doing. The above render was probably the first thing I was really satisfied with and I rendered hi-rez and made a Zazzle poster out of it (you can go to the zazzle poster store by clicking on the above image).


These were part of a second 'age' (or world) in vynclif that I worked on partly because my computer crashed and I lost the main world. I've learned a lot about design and art basics since then but they were a lot of fun to make. Because they were worlds, all of my art projects and thoughts could be channeled into this one project and I was always thinking about some feature or detail or place in vynclif, and i would keep adding on, etc.



You can see a 360° quicktime panorama of the above here.


Some of the later stuff was modeled in Amapi, which is an excellent and now free modeling program.

You can see more of my ye olde 3d stuff here.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Caleb Bell said...

Wow, that's awesome stuff. I really like the large swooping arches under the walkway. I remember RivenGuild fondly, and I was sad when it finally shut its doors. Someday, if Cyan is, in fact, resurrected, I'd really like to take the four hour drive out there to have a tour of their offices. Walking around up here, you can see the clear influences from nature on their early games, especially on ages like Channelwood and Stoneship.

2/15/2007 10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home